Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dan Choi Collapses

Lt. Dan Choi, the openly gay Army veteran who has been an outspoken critic of the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy, has been hospitalized after suffering a mental breakdown, he told colleagues.

"I was involuntarily committed to the Brockton MA Veterans Hospital Psychiatric Ward on Friday Morning after experiencing a breakdown and anxiety attack," Choi wrote in an e-mail Tuesday to Pam Spaulding and Rex Wockner, who blog about gay and lesbian issues.

On her blog, Pam's House Blend, Spaulding shared the contents of Choi's e-mail, in which the Iraq war vet expressed disappointment at the failure by Congress to repeal the 17-year-old ban on openly gay troops in the military.

Dan Choi's full statement:

I wanted you to know because you are important to me and I think you can explain my situation best to those in our community who may be still interested. I was involuntarily committed to the Brockton MA Veterans Hospital Physchiatric Ward on Friday Morning after experiencing a breakdown and anxiety attack. ...


I did not initially want to publicize this but I now realize it is critical for our community to know several things: veterans gay or straight carry human burdens. Activists share similar burdens, no activist should be portrayed as super human, and the failures of government and national lobbying carry consequences far beyond the careers and reputations of corporate leaders, elected officials, high powered lobbyists, or political elites.


They ruin lives. My breakdown was a result of a cumulative array of stressors but there is no doubt that the composite betrayals felt on Thursday, by elected leaders and gay organizations as well as many who have exploited my name for their marketing purposes, have added to the result. I am certain my experience is not an isolated incident within the gay veteran community.


At the same time, those who have been closest to me know that I truly appreciate their gracious help and mentorship. I am indebted to their hospitality and leadership.

No comments:

Post a Comment